3S Class Picture

3S Class Picture

Monday, August 22, 2016

What is a Brain Break?

   After we complete planners, I extend recent learning through a fun game that often involves movement.  Today I demonstrated a game called 'Categories.' I use this Brain Break when we are learning about new vocabulary, grouping ideas, and connecting learning.  
   The game begins with a leader in the center.  They will name a category.  When we learn about Landforms, for example, I can begin the category as "Landforms in North America."  Students stand in a circle and work together to name as many landforms as possible.  I can also extend this activity at the end of the unit to check for growth.  For example, I could call the category "Landforms All Over the World."  
   Opportunities to extend learning with movement and game-like situations increase engagement and excitement! 


No comments:

Post a Comment