3S Class Picture

3S Class Picture

Monday, October 19, 2015

A Beautiful Challenge

   As the end of a math unit approaches, we plan a challenging problem solving activity for our students to "struggle through" using their skills, mindset, and grit!  Today, we used our subtraction problem solving skills for a Sticker Quest.  This may sound tame at first, but ask any Third Grader about the tasks they completed for a glorious sticker!  :)
   The beauty in today's challenge was the conversation and perseverance I witnessed.  Students had the option of pairing up with the stipulation that each partner must show their own thinking.  The very first group I checked in on was hard at work and super quiet.  When I asked what their strategy was, they looked at me (possibly a little annoyed because I was interrupting their challenge) and explained they decided to choose a task together, complete the task separately, then discuss their thinking together before arriving at a final answer.  Yes, Mrs. Schuh's socks were blown off.



   The next group I checked in was just as focused.  One partner asked if the task was even possible.  When I smiled and sat down, the other partner looked up at me and declared "No hints!" before I could even open my mouth!  I was happy to oblige!


    As I continued checking in from group to group, I stopped and thought, "I'm missing something- no one "needs" me, every single student is focused, and they look like they are having fun!"  This class was working together, learning and performing some difficult challenge tasks and using the critical thinking skills to succeed!
   Near the end of our math time, I looked over to a group of three and they were celebrating their struggle-dance moves and all!  This is my happy place- students taking on challenges with their "can-do" mindset and celebrating each step of the way!
     


1 comment: