3S Class Picture

3S Class Picture

Monday, September 22, 2014

Prove It! The Important Part of Mental Addition and Subtraction by Mrs. Schuh

I must have said "You guys are knocking my socks off" at least five times today (this makes me giggle because my last name is Schuh)!  I kept thinking, "I have to blog about these thinkers!"  
   In Science, Mr. Kearney began talking about soil.  The class immediately connected their new knowledge on soil to what we learned in Social Studies about ecosystems.  As a class, they concluded that soil is an ecosystem with only a few thinking prompts from Mr. Kearney and I.  It gave me chills to hear them connect the learning so quickly and authentically!  
   In math, we celebrated all the mental addition and subtraction strategies we use.  Again, the conversations gave me chills.  I wish I could have bottled them up and saved them!  We used our review packet to discuss mental computation strategies and how to show thinking in as many ways as possible.  The only directions I gave the class were to talk first-share your answers and how you got them.  After each voice was heard, I asked them to prove their answers in as many ways as possible.  I had to grab an ipad to document this amazing thinking and group work!  Please check out the work below and continue to ask your third grader how they know their answers are correct (in any subject-not just math!).





No comments:

Post a Comment